Arsenal 2

Arsenal continued their flawless start to the Premier League on Saturday as they came from behind to claim a 2-1 victory against Fulham at the Emirates Stadium in London.

The result marks the first time since Arsenal’s 2004-05 “Invincible” season that the club have started the season with four consecutive league wins, leaving Mikel Arteta’s side two points clear at the top of the table.

Arsenal dominated the first half, but it was striker Aleksandar Mitrovic who broke the deadlock as he continued his fine vein of form in front of goal, netting his 100th goal for Fulham.

The 27-year-old snapped the ball from Arsenal defender Gabriel, who was dawdling on the ball on the edge of his own 18-yard box, and slotted past goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale. The strike marks Mitrovic’s fourth league goal this season.

Arsenal were not to be denied, though, as Martin Odegaard hit back minutes later when he picked up a pass from Bukayo Saka on the edge of the box and struck an attempt at goal that deflected past goalkeeper Bernd Leno.

The hosts pushed for a winner and were rewarded just five minutes from time when Gabriel pounced and prodded home after Leno failed to deal with an in-swinging corner.

Arsenal have now won four league games in a row after previously earning comfortable wins over Crystal Palace, Leicester City and Bournemouth.

Meanwhile, Erling Haaland scored a 19-minute second-half hat-trick as champions Manchester City fought back from two goals down to claim a thrilling English Premier League victory over Crystal Palace.

The visitors looked on course to win at Etihad Stadium for the second consecutive season when they led 2-0 at the break through John Stones’ own goal and Joachim Andersen’s powerful header.

However, City’s first effort on target saw them reduce the arrears shortly after the break when Bernardo Silva’s shot deflected off Palace midfielder Jeffrey Schlupp past Vicente Guaita.

And with the hosts in complete command Haaland took centre stage.

The Norwegian nodded in Phil Foden’s cross to draw Pep Guardiola’s side level, then prodded in Stones’ wayward shot to complete the turnaround.

With Palace chasing the game, Haaland rounded off the scoring, racing on to Ilkay Gundogan’s pass and holding off Joel Ward to cap a fine performance, before being replaced to a rapturous ovation from the home fans.

The win sees City finish the day second in the Premier League table, two points behind Arsenal.

Liverpool ended their wait for a win in the English Premier League this season in emphatic style, netting five goals in the first-half as they thrashed Bournemouth 9-0 at Anfield on Saturday.

Jurgen Klopp called for a reaction from his side, who were in 16th place at the start of the day after being held to draws against Fulham and Crystal Palace as well as a 2-1 defeat to Manchester United on Monday, and Liverpool duly delivered, with Luiz Diaz and Harvey Elliott netting inside 10 minutes.

Trent Alexander-Arnold and Roberto Firmino scored a quick-fire double either side of the half-hour mark before Virgil van Dijk struck on the stroke of half-time in a heavily one-sided affair.

Liverpool picked up where they left off in the second half. Alexander-Arnold provided an excellent cross toward Diaz just a minute after half-time when Bournemouth defender Chris Mepham turned into his own net.

Firmino, substitute Fabio Carvalho and Diaz netted further goals in the second half to secure a nine-goal victory, equalling the Premier League record for biggest winning margin. The feat has previously been achieved three times — twice by United and also by Leicester City.

Elsewhere, 10-man Chelsea survive a desperate Leicester City fightback to win 2-1 at Stamford Bridge; Conor Gallagher sent off in first half for two yellow cards; Raheem Sterling struck twice in second period to open his Chelsea account; Harvey Barnes hit back for Foxes

Earlier, Bruno Fernandes provided a tidy finish to help Manchester United to a 1-0 win over Southampton at St. Mary’s Stadium.

After both sides proved wasteful in front of goal in the first half, Fernandes netted the only goal of the game in the 55th minute as he connected well with Diogo Dalot’s cross to volley into the bottom left corner.

The victory, United’s second on the bounce, halted their seven-match losing streak on the road stretching back to last season and provisionally lifted them to sixth place after four games.

It also marks the first time the club has won back-to-back league matches since February.

Everton missed the chance to grab their first English Premier League victory of the season after being held to a 1-1 draw at Brentford on this afternoon.

Gordon, who has been linked with a Β£60m move to Stamford Bridge, put Everton ahead with a well-taken strike.

However, substitute Vitaly Janelt’s late equaliser earned Brentford a deserved point.

Brighton & Hove Albion kept up their impressive unbeaten start to the English Premier League season with a second-half goal from midfielder Pascal Gross sealing a 1-0 victory over Leeds United at the Amex Stadium.

By Amara

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *