Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was assaulted as an armed gang equipped with iron bars targeted the Barcelona striker’s house on Monday, the club have confirmed.
Aubameyang and his wife were handcuffed and tied up for a sustained period during the burglary, although club sources say neither suffered serious injuries.
The thieves broke into Aubameyang’s home just outside of Barcelona in Castelldefels, where he lives with his wife and two children, in the early hours of Monday morning.
The house is about 200 metres away from properties still owned by former Barca stars Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez, who both use private security firms to safeguard their homes.
Former Arsenal player Aubameyang, 33, had just returned home from Barca’s 4-0 win against Real Valladolid on Sunday, where he was an unused substitute.
Sources confirmed the gang forced him to open a safe that contained jewelry, among other expensive items, which they took.
The gang have not yet been caught, according to Spanish police sources.
This is not the first time Barcelona players have been victim of robberies and theft, with Aubameyang’s team-mate Robert Lewandowski having his watch, worth around €70,000 stolen outside the club’s training ground.
Last November, young winger Ansu Fati had his home burgled while he was downstairs watching the club play against local rivals Espanyol.
Some of the 19-year-old’s family were sitting downstairs in the property during the break-in, which reportedly saw money, watches and expensive jewellery stolen.
In 2018, there were a trio of Barcelona stars targeted by thieves. Midfielder Philippe Coutinho returned home to discover his home had been burgled, while a group of men broke into the house of defender Gerard Pique while he was preparing to play for Spain at the World Cup.
Later on in that year, thieves smashed their way inside left-back Jordi Alba’s property while his family were inside.
There were another spate of robberies and break-ins in 2019 too as former midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng reportedly lost jewellery and cash worth between £255,000 and £350,000 after a gang entered his house while he was playing a match.
Aubameyang’s break-in saga comes after former Manchester United star Paul Pogba claimed he was the victim of an £11m blackmail plot by a gang who dragged him to an apartment in Paris and threatened him with assault rifles.
The 29-year-old, who has won the World Cup with France, said the men wanted the money for ‘protection services’ stretching back 13 years, including for the time he spent in Manchester.
Pogba claims two armed men said they ‘protected him discreetly’ during a period that spanned more than a decade, including during two spells at Manchester United, the last of which ended earlier this year.
The Frenchman said the gang had been threatening him for four months.
Acts of intimidation were carried out in Manchester in April, and later around the Italian city of Turin, where Pogba currently plays for Juventus.
The gang is also said to have taken Pogba to flat in the Paris suburb of Lagny-sur-Marne, where Pogba grew up, at the end of March. There, the gang members accused Pogba of not helping them financially since he became a professional player.
During police interviews, Paul Pogba said he had always been close to his childhood friends and helped them out financially when he could.
But in January he kicked one out his house in Manchester after discovering that the unidentified man had used Pogba’s credit card to steal €200,000 – the equivalent of £170,000.