Newcastle and Manchester City served up a thrilling 3-3 draw at St James’ Park in the English Premier League on Sunday.

The Magpies, remarkably, held a 3-1 lead at the hour mark after a fine display to that point, but goals from Erling Haaland and Bernardo Silva rescued a point for Pep Guardiola’s men, who now sit second in the table, four places above their opponents.

The visitors had exploited poor defending from Newcastle to open the scoring after just five minutes. Bernardo Silva drifted in off the right wing and curled a cross to Ilkay Gundogan at the far post, who had time to trap the ball before dispatching it into the net.

City threatened to run up a huge score, but eventually the home side regrouped.

Allan Saint-Maximin especially was unplayable. He conjured a gilt-edged chance for Miguel Almiron in the 17th minute, which the Paraguayan ballooned over the bar, before setting up Almiron again for the equaliser after 28 minutes.

Five minutes before half-time, it was Saint-Maximin again racing through City’s midfield, this time slipping a pass to Callum Wilson on the edge of the box, who gave Newcastle a 2-1 lead.
The second half began with more of the same.

Saint-Maximin was hauled down on the edge of the box not long after the break, and Kieran Trippier struck a magnificent free kick to extend Newcastle’s lead.

The Toon continued to pour forward in numbers and had chances to put more daylight between themselves and their opponents, as City looked nervous and on the verge of collapse.

Then came four minutes which saw the match turned on its head.

City caused chaos at a corner, winning another in the confusion. From that, De Bruyne hung up a cross at the far post which Rodri nodded down for Erling Haaland to convert and get the visitors back into the match.

Haaland then had another chance straight after to level the scores, but Pope surged out of his box to deny the Norwegian.

[ MORE: Arsenal Maintain Perfect Start, Kane Sets Record In Tottenham Win ]

Moments later though, City were level as De Bruyne disguised a through-ball which only Bernardo saw coming. The Portuguese was alone in front of Pope and finished calmly for 3-3.

Trippier was sent off 10 minutes later for a foul on Kevn De Bruyne. VAR intervened though, and Trippier was instead only cautioned.

City dominated the closing moments, but must be satisfied with a point won from a dire position.

Earlier, Leeds United enjoyed their best result in the top-flight for some time, thrashing Chelsea 3-0 in front of a raucous Elland Road crowd.

Chelsea had the better of the early play, with Raheem Sterling having a goal ruled out for a narrow offside and putting another effort just wide, but Leeds grew into the game as the half wore on.

And they were gifted an opener just after the half-hour mark when Edouard Mendy tried a turn in his six-yard box, only to be robbed by Brenden Aaronson, who rounded him before tapping home.

A second came soon afterwards when Jack Harrison put in a perfect free kick from the left flank which Rodrigo flicked a header at and the ball flew inside the far corner of the net.

From there on, Leeds put on a show for their fans and a third came midway through the second half when Rodrigo got a touch on Dan James’ cross and Harrison was on hand to turn home from close range.

To add to Chelsea’s woes Kalidou Koulibaly was sent off for a second needless booking with five minutes remaining.

Elsewhere, Brighton & Hove Albion maintained their impressive start to the English Premier League season and piled on the misery for West Ham United with a 2-0 victory at the London Stadium.

Alexis Mac Allister’s 22nd-minute penalty following a foul by debutant Thilo Kehrer on Danny Welbeck put Brighton ahead.

Graham Potter’s well-drilled side sealed a thoroughly deserved three points in the 66th minute when Leandro Trossard raced through to score after a slick move.

By Amara

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *